Swoop News

The Student News Site of Aiken New Tech High School

Swoop News

Swoop News

April Calendar
April 4, 2024
Photo courtesy of Cincinnati Public Schools
CPS Money Cut
March 21, 2024
Education and respect
March 20, 2024

Band Recommendation: GHOST B.C.

Ghost is a band formed in 2011 by Tobías Forge, they have won three Grammys and have been nominated multiple times. At the end of 2011, Tobías Forge together with four other members released their first album titled opus eponymous.

The story of Ghost begins in 2006 in Linköping, Sweden, when Tobias Forge, the future leader and mastermind behind the band, wrote the song “Stand by Him.” Inspired by heavy metal and satanic-themed lyrics, Forge decided to form a band that would be distinguished not only by its music but also by its image and anonymity. To record the first songs, Forge met with Gustaf Lindström, with whom he had played in the death metal band Repugnant. Together they recorded three songs, and after considering the uniqueness of their sound, they decided that Ghost would be a theme band with anonymous members.

The band members adopted the name “Nameless Ghouls” to refer to themselves, wearing black robes and keeping their identity a secret, while Forge assumed the identity of “Papa Emeritus” (and later successive versions as Papa Emeritus II, III, etc.), using makeup and clothing that evoked the figure of a satanic pope. Although Forge initially sought out other vocalists for the role of Papa Emeritus, he eventually assumed the role of lead vocalist himself, due to rejection from considered candidates.

Since their formation, Ghost has undergone lineup changes, primarily among the Nameless Ghouls, whose identities have largely remained a mystery until recent years. Legal disputes and statements from former members have revealed some identities, including confirmation that Tobias Forge is indeed the leader and creator of the band.

Ghost released their first album, “Opus Eponymous”, in 2010, which received critical acclaim and established the band as a notable act within metal. With a style that mixes heavy metal, doom metal, psychedelic rock, and with lyrical themes that revolve around satanism and the occult, Ghost has distinguished itself not only for its music but also for its live theatricality.

Over the years, Ghost has released several additional studio albums, including “Infestissumam” (2013), “Meliora” (2015), “Prequelle” (2018), and more, each raising his profile and gaining new fans. . The band has been recognized with major awards, such as the Grammys, and has toured around the world, becoming one of the most intriguing and successful acts in modern metal.

Despite lineup changes and controversies, Tobias Forge’s artistic vision as leader of Ghost has remained constant, combining music, theater, and dark storytelling to create a unique experience in both his recordings and live performances.
Given Ghost’s focus on anonymity and theatrics, the identity of its members, especially the “Nameless Ghouls”, has largely been a mystery over the years. However, the band’s creative core and some members have been revealed, primarily through litigation and interviews.

1. Tobias Forge: He is the founder, leader, main songwriter and vocalist of Ghost, known under the names Papa Emeritus, Papa Emeritus II, Papa Emeritus III, and Cardinal Copia, among others. Forge is the brains behind the band’s music and conceptualization, including imagery, lyrics and art direction. Although his identity was a secret for many years, it was revealed publicly due to a legal dispute with former band members. Forge has been the only consistent member of Ghost since their formation, and his creative vision has been instrumental to the band’s success and unique aesthetic.

2. Martin Persner: Although Ghost is characterized by the anonymity of its members, Martin Persner is one of the former members who has publicly revealed his participation in the band. Persner was a guitarist for Ghost and is believed to have been one of the original Nameless Ghouls. In 2016, Persner announced in a video on his YouTube channel that he had been a member of Ghost until 2016, performing under the symbol “Ω”. His departure from the band was amicable and due to personal and creative reasons.

3. Simon Söderberg: Another former member who came to light due to the aforementioned legal dispute is Simon Söderberg, who was Ghost’s guitarist until 2016. Söderberg and other former members sued Tobias Forge for financial and contractual issues, which resulted in the revelation of the identities of several band members. Söderberg was involved in the early years of Ghost, contributing to the formation of their distinctive sound.

It is important to note that due to the anonymous nature of the band, many other musicians have gone by Ghost as Nameless Ghouls without publicly revealing their identity. These musicians have contributed to live performances and studio recordings, maintaining the mystery and theatricality that are hallmarks of Ghost. The line-up has changed several times over the years, with Tobias Forge being the only permanent member and central figure of the band.