Swoop News

The Student News Site of Aiken New Tech High School

Swoop News

Swoop News

April Calendar
April 4, 2024
Photo courtesy of Cincinnati Public Schools
CPS Money Cut
March 21, 2024
Education and respect
March 20, 2024

Talk With Your Pads, Play With Your Heart

Hughes’ Coach Loss Was a Win for Dixie Heights
Daymien Robinson

On Friday, August 25th Hughes S.T.E.M. High School went head on against Dixie Heights High School in a very intense football game. 

The Hughes Big Red football stars had been perceived as heroes due to their past success in recent seasons, leading the team to numerous victories. The Engelman boys always talked to their opponents as it they’re the best, but they were dealt a huge blow by the Kentucky Colonels, now led by former Hughes head coach Christopher Mobley. Entering the game at Willard Stargel Stadium, there was very much animosity between both sidelines, this left the level of play at a higher level than before.

At kickoff Dixie was looking 110% more prepared than Hughes. Mobley was also fired up due to rumors of past beef between Mobley and his old school, firing his players up with countless words of encouragement. The Dixie players seemed unfazed by their polar opposites, making every pass, catch, tackle and even kicks. There were some Hughes players ready for action, such as the Engleman brothers and the head coach which is their father.

When the game began it was time for everybody, including the fans on both sides, to lock in and do their complete best.

Throughout the first quarter the game was pretty even. Hughes started off their first drive with a touchdown from their own territory, which gave many fans hope for the next few quarters. But Dixie was not backing down, sacking Hughes quarterback TJ Engleman multiple times and scoring a touchdown in the back of the end zone. 

The second quarter of the game came with a bunch of energy from both teams. After every play there were aggressive comments exchanged between players and even coaches such as “lay down and stay down”.  Dixie began to pull away during this quarter by scoring their second touchdown on a run play closing out the first half. Coming along, everything went down for Hughes after halftime came along. The Kentucky boys came out with more energy in the game than the Cincinnati boys did.

Bad play after bad play brought the game to a bitter close for the Big Red. Sadly during the second half a Hughes player suffered an acute head injury, which required him to be put in an ambulance and sent to the hospital. With the way this affected the game and the energy it was over for Hughes. The Colonels played harder, better, faster and stronger.

Knowing how important this game was to both sides, this reporter recognizes the effort put in on both sides. Granted Dixie had the better hustle, Hughes still had some–just not enough to take their opponents down. Mobley was very much excited about his win, celebrating with his sideline of players in a big crowd. All in all the Big Red came in wanting to hand Mobley and his team a loss on a silver platter, but Dixie had other things in mind. Hughes came in with a confidence they could not sustain. In the end Dixie Heights’ training and enthusiasm showed Hughes to talk with their pads and play with their heart.