Swoop News

The Student News Site of Aiken New Tech High School

Swoop News

Swoop News

April Calendar
April 4, 2024
Photo courtesy of Cincinnati Public Schools
CPS Money Cut
March 21, 2024
Education and respect
March 20, 2024

Op/Ed: Student Phone Use in Class

Why Should Students Not Use Their Phone in Class 

Should students use their phones in class?  According to research done by Pew, 90% percent of American teenagers have a smartphone. This is because most students feel alone in class or they just don’t want to talk to anyone or pay attention in class. You walk in a classroom and you will see all the students with their phones out in class. Students are hurting themselves with their cellphones; for example they are on TikTok or Instagram when the teacher is teaching. By the time the teachers are done teaching they all don’t know what the teacher was just talking about.  Now the teacher has to explain everything all over again, this takes up the teacher’s time to teach and we get less time doing our work. 

During the pandemic a lot of people were on their phones all day long, even when we were online schooling, you will see all the kids with phones during class. A lot of students lose a lot of hours of sleep because they are on their phones all night long. When teachers tell students to put their cell phones away, the students just pretend to but do not put them away. This means that more students spend their time on social media than doing their work. Some kids also have bad grades because they are on their phone saying “I can do it when I get home’, but when they get home they don’t end up doing anything at all. If you weren’t on your phone from class the teacher would have time to help you out with your work and you won’t have to worry about not understanding anything. 

Some teachers say that ’it is a terrible thing to have phones in class because students don’t look them in the eyes. Teachers also say that it’s hard to tell when students need help because they are always on their phones. ”it is hard to communicate with students. We don’t mind if you guys are on y’all phones just don’t use it if we are teaching or giving an assignment.” Some types of technology have been more helpful than others for students. Sometimes students forget their computer at home, and you will use their phones to do their work. I hope this will help students and that they read it.